Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, Remembering a Decade


I woke up today having one fail after another. I woke up late. I ruined the first batch of breakfast. I burnt the second batch of breakfast. I spilled a half a gallon of milk. I burnt my finger. I cut my other finger. And then of course, I made Pat and I late for church. As I threw my hissy fits, by slamming drawers, rolling my eyes, and feeling nothing but sorry for myself, I realized what special day it was. The 10 year anniversary of September 11. Suddenly, all of my so called "problems" were nothing. After church, Pat and I talked about where we were when we had first heard about the attack. He was a 15 yr. old sophomore, sitting in Chemistry, watching the attack on TV. And I was a 10 yr. old in 5th grade, over at my best friends getting ready to head out for school. Also, watching everything unravel on the television. I didn't fully understand what was happening in our county. I didn't understand why people would just fly a plane into a tower. I couldn't grasp the concept of  "terrorism". I watched the TV the following days, seeing people begging for help to find their missing loved ones. Hearing countless names of people who had died. Watching children asking for their moms or dads to come home, because they miss them. And seeing the pictures of the fear that struck so quickly across the nation. It was all such a whirlwind to me. Why had such a peaceful place all the sudden turn into this? It took me some years to fully understand how incredibly brave America is. That we have not only service men and women risking their lives for complete strangers, but also having your everyday citizen give a helping hand for those in need. So here, I wish to thank the brave people of America. I  would like to thank those who fought on that horrid day, and to those who still fight today for this great country. God bless to everyone for being able to carry out strong after such devastation, you are what makes America Strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment